Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thirty is a big birthday

There’s a photograph of us in a box in my closet.
I get it out every so often.
I’m glad someone took a picture I can freeze that moment in time and hold on to that feeling.
I can feel your cheek against mine in the sunshine.
You smell divine. You are nestled up on my shoulder, safe.
We are both laughing and happy.

What neither of us could recognize in that moment is that our lives had changed forever.
You came and made me grow up…then gave me the ability to love enough for the rest of my life. You needed me in a way that mattered more than I knew.
We both grew as fast as we could.
We still are. And here we are miles apart and I want to celebrate that moment and all the moments from then until now that you have been in my life.
You have been a gift to me beyond measure.
When I get so stuck into myself that no one can tell me anything, you can. I will always hear you.
When I’m uncertain if I’ve made a difference in this world, I look at you and know that I have.

Thanks for still being here.
Know that you are loved.
Happy Birthday, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment